Slip and fall accidents are often thought of as minor accidents with simple injuries. The truth is, slip and fall events have been associated with very serious injuries. Slip and fall events have been rated as the leading cause for wrist, knee, hip, and tailbone injuries in the country. They have also been associated with serious head, neck, spine, shoulder/rotator cuff, and ankle injuries.
Property Owners Have Specific Duties
Slip and fall events are generally considered a premise liability issue. Property owners have a specific duty to ensure that anyone who enters their property can do so safely. Premises liability cases, however, also include many other issues besides slip and fall accidents.
The most common reasons that a person has a slip and fall event includes:
• Uneven pavement, cracks in pavement, holes in pavement or parking areas
• Slippery rugs or mats
• Wet floors
• Debris on the floors, in entrance ways or in the parking areas that could not be avoided
• Dangerous stairwells
Of course, slip and fall accidents can occur in any area where a property is not well maintained.
The owner of the property has a duty to keep the property safe, or by definition of law, should know of any problems that have occurred and should make the necessary repairs. Part of the requirements of a slip and fall case is to show that the property owner should have been aware of the problem that caused the fall and failed to take the necessary actions to make the property safe.
If You Have Been Involved In A Slip And Fall Accident
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you must take the following steps to protect yor rights as an injury victim:
• Notify management or some form of authority that the accident has occurred. Fill out any and all requested reports.
• Seek immediate medical evaluation for your injuries. Do not delay. By delaying, you risk the insurance company denying your claim on the basis that your injuries could be from a different event.
• Speak to a personal injury attorney. Medical malpractice lawyers Atlanta can help you secure your claim for compensation when you have been involved in a slip and fall accident.